Ireland is required under the EU Birds Directive (2009/147/EC) to designate Special Protection Areas (SPAs) for the protection of:
- Listed rare and vulnerable species
- Regularly occurring migratory species
- Wetlands, especially those of international importance
Where a proposed plan or development has the potential to disturb protected bird species, or their supporting habitats, dedicated bird surveys must be conducted as part of the planning application.
Planning Consultancy Services in partnership with experienced ecologists utilise a range of techniques to deliver comprehensive bird surveys. We specialise in:
- Wintering bird surveys (survey season: September to March)
- Breeding bird surveys (including Hen Harrier Surveys)
When the field surveys are complete, a comprehensive report is compiled to detail methodologies, results and mitigation measures, if applicable.